Monday, September 24, 2007

Alyssa: “The Fascination of the Miniature” by Steven Millhauser

1. Identify and briefly define important words, terms, concepts, or characters.

o The miniature does not exist in isolation: It is by nature a smaller version of something else.
o The miniature implies a relation, a discrepancy.
o The eye is forced to perform an act of recognition.

2. Summarize the main idea, theme, action, or event of the reading. Be sure to include a quotation that best captures the overall feeling or mood of the reading.

“I believe the answer is this, that discrepancy of size is a form of distortion, and all forms of distortion shock us into attention: The inattentive and jaded eye, passing through a world without interest, helplessly perceives that something in the bland panorama is not as it should be.”

Something small isn’t what catches our eyes. A piece of salt or even an ant does not fascinate us. It may catch our eye, but we don’t give it so much attention, as we might give a mini bottle of ketchup or a mini ping pong table. A miniature is a smaller version of something else. It is a relation. “The eye is irritated into attention.”

3. Formulate a question for discussion. The question should be relatively substantial, based upon a specified passage or scene from the text, and capable of sustaining a thoughtful discussion.

When you look at a miniature, do you stare at the tiny details or do you look at the miniature as a whole? Do you ever imagine what the original size looks like? Do you ever think to yourself: “what if I was a miniature?” Do you think you would have the same outlook on life?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i did this one as well.... i loved this idea of miniature's as opposed to small objects... if you really pay attention to everything we look at, miniature really do catch our attention much quicker and to a much higher degree

Anonymous said...

Everything in this world is made up with detail. The details are small and complete the world. Without MIniature details, the big objects cease to exist. If you were to see a small piece of something you would know where it originally came from because "miniature implies a relation".

Unknown said...

A miniature craves more attention naturally because it needs it. Without focus you can miss the point , which can be an idea it is trying to stress. This also give us an opportunity to appreciate the detail that goes into the big picture.

Unknown said...

Whenever I see a miniature of something, I try to compare it to it's original size. I look at what is different and what is the same. If I ever became a miniature of myself, I would look for the tiny details of life that I would never see at my original size; as well as avoiding the event of me getting squashed.